Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Scanner make a difference



Here we have an example of why scanning DOES matter. It's a sad fact - the scanner I use my school's library alters the coloration. The first image is self scanned while the second image is professionally scanned. I'm a purist when it comes to this stuff. I don't want color correction on my computer. I want what the film gives me.
Also, notice the film grain. Click to enlarge image 1. Then click to enlarge image 2. In image 2 you can see the film grain in all it's splendor. It actually looks like a photograph - not some digitally high glossed smear.


This last set of images is a perfect example. Look at image 1. Then look at the other self scanned photos. Image 1 has a completely different tonal shift. It doesn't even look like it's from the same film stock. But the scanner auto-"corrected", removing the punch.
Such a shame.

No comments:

Post a Comment